Breakfast for a cold day

Good afternoon! 

I looked out of the window this morning to a bright and sunny day, the birds chirping in the trees and the green grass glistening with dew. It looked like a perfect spring morning; but alas, that was not to be! I discovered that winter sun is incredibly deceiving; it's safe to say that I won't be venturing out of the house without a coat for a while longer. 

Breakfast is one of the most important meals of the day and I know that I couldn't live without it - especially in winter, when we require something more substantial to keep me going. However, many cereals and jams are packed full of sugar, which I know my dentist isn't too happy about! With this porridge recipe, you know exactly what is going into it, and it's mainly natural sugars from the fruit, which are a little better for you than refined syrups and sugars. 


When I was taking the photos my mother did comment that it was like teaching your grandmother to suck eggs; my reply was, "It's a good thing my granny isn't reading it then." And yes, I know that porridge is not the hardest thing in the world to make; but there are so many lovely variations and this is a fairly healthy breakfast that will set you up for the day ahead. It certainly kept me going for a good four to five hours! Plus, it contains about one portion of fruit - bonus! 


Fruity Cinnamon Porridge (serves 2 - 3)
1 cup porridge oats
2 cups milk (or water, if you wish)
1 tsp cinnamon
a good handful of dried cranberries
1 medium banana
Honey or maple syrup, to taste

1. Mix the porridge oats and milk in a large saucepan over a medium to high heat. After about 5 minutes, stirring continuously, add half the cranberries and the tsp of cinnamon. 

2.Continue stirring until thickened to your desired consistence. Mash half the banana and add to the porridge; mix in the remaining cranberries too. 

3. Pour the porridge into a bowl and top with the rest of the banana, chopped, and any extra cranberries. If you want it a little sweeter stir in a little honey; and if you're feeling particularly indulgent add in a little cream or crème fraîche - I won't tell. 


Have you any favourite breakfast recipes? 

Comments