Revision Solutions (aka COOKIES)

So, my holidays are here and I now have a lovely long two week break from the endless cycle of school. The weather is slowly warming up, there are new bright clothes in the shops and I'm looking forward to purchasing a bike upon which to cycle aimlessly around the countryside in search of a secluded spot to sit and read.

Unfortunately, I also have two years' worth of revision to do. Looks like that bike ride will have to be postponed!

A standard day in the life of Emma: wake up, breakfast, get dressed (into some sort of tracksuit - jumper - hoodie combination), sit at desk, revise, revise, TEA BREAK, revise, revise, LUNCH BREAK, revise, revise, revise, DINNER TIME, blog/read/catch up with Pride and Prejudice, bed. 

Then I get up the next day and do it all over again. 

I'll admit that I maybe exaggerated a little bit for effect. Maybe I do get a  bit of spare time (that is wasted on Facebook or Pinterest), and perhaps I can be rather slow in getting dressed. But sometimes it is hard to study for a whole day - this is meant to be holiday time!

I've been attempting to motivate myself with the thought that in two months, the dreaded exams will be over and I'll be free for three months. With the thought that on Friday I'm hoping to go for a summery little picnic to catch up with some good friends. (Blog post planned, don't worry!) Also.... that these cookies will be waiting for me with a nice cool glass of milk during my study break. 



Peanut butter cookies are something I've always wanted to try, but for some strange reason I've never got around to making them. I haven't seen them in shops or bakeries (typical Northern Ireland) and so I decided that the time had come to test them out myself. 




I used Lorraine Pascale's recipe, reducing the quantities of peanut butter a little bit (because I needed the leftovers for toast in the morning) and halving the recipe to make six cookies because I didn't want to waste anything if it wasn't a success. 

Thankfully, success came my way. In fact, success is such a weak word for the result. They are a triumph; a ground-breaking achievement; a possible contender for the ultimate soft cookie. They are sweet and nutty, soft and buttery - just like a hug in edible form. 


My advice - make lots. 

Peanut Butter Cookies (makes 12 - 14)
125g soft butter
200g light brown soft sugar
1 large egg
2 drops vanilla extract 
200g plain flour
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp bicarbonate of soda
200g crunchy peanut butter
A handful of lightly toasted peanuts to decorate 

1. Heat the oven to 160 degrees C (140 fan). Cream the butter and sugar together until pale and fluffy. Bea in the egg and vanilla.

2. Stir in the flour, baking powder and bicarbonate of soda. Gently stir in the peanut butter.

3. Divide the dough up into equal sized pieces and roll each into a ball. Place on two large lines baking trays, leaving room for spreading. Squash slightly with a fork and press a few peanuts over the top. 

4. Bake for 15 - 17 minutes, until golden brown and slightly soft. Leave to firm and cool on the trays before eating.

Comments

Post a Comment

I read all your comments and treasure each one. Drop me a line and I"ll check out your blog, too! x