Healthy Banana Muffins

I haven't been baking as much recently. It's taken me a while to get back into the routine of school after a solid four months without it and when I'm not doing homework I'm practising music or trying to catch up with Doctor Who/GBBO. Still, I find that I get withdrawal symptoms from baking after a while (is that even possible?) and so the other day I decided to do something about it by creating a few muffins. 


It's partly inspired by Joy's Vegan muffins (here) but also by my desire to taste something cinnamon-y again. As you all know, I can't keep myself away from the stuff! I do love my fruity bakes though; and is there anything more perfect than the banana-cinnamon-nut combo? 


Best of all... these are really healthy! Well, as healthy as muffins can be. There's no artificial sugar - all of the sweetness comes from the honey and banana - and the only fats in the muffin are from coconut oil and pecan nuts. In fact, as Joy says, you could easily have one or two of these for breakfast. Though they do taste excellent at any time of day! 



I've used a proper egg as opposed to chia seeds (so it isn't vegan) and used ordinary wholemeal flour, as well as changing the quantities very slightly. (read: using 'a sprinkle' of spice instead of using teaspoons.) Also, because it's my birthday this week  I only made six of these (surely there'll be birthday cake) - but you can multiply the quantities if you wish. 


Healthy Banana Muffins (makes 6)
 1 banana, mashed
1 egg
1/4 cup honey plus 1 tsp
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
few tsp coconut oil, melted
1 cup wholemeal flour 
1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
handful pecan nuts, roughly chopped, plus 6 whole pecans to decorate
ground cinnamon, ground nutmeg, ground cloves in ratio 2:1:1 to your personal spice preference 

1. Heat the oven to 175°C. Line a muffin tin. 

2. Mix the bananas, eggs, honey, vanilla and coconut oil. 

3. In a separate bowl, combine the dry ingredients. 

4. Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and mix well until all of the flour is combined. 

5. Spoon into cases, top with a pecan nut and bake for 15 - 20 minutes until browned. 

Thanks, Joy, for the inspiration! 




Comments