Christmas market trip

You've heard about the Christmas markets in Vienna, Bath and Graz. But have you heard about the Christmas market in Belfast? 

It's been a regular event for the past few years, and I always try to fit in a trip at some point during the Christmas season. This year I decided to go early, so one day after school my friend and I caught the train into Victoria Station. We walked over to the City Hall, trying not to walk into busy city businessmen on our way, and squeezed ourselves through the gates into the market. 


I'm going to be truthful here and admit that these photos were all taken at the market last year by my sister. I've recently had to change my phone due to an unfortunate accident involving a pavement (sob) and the camera's not quite as good as I'd hoped. (What should I expect from a £40 phone?) Anyway, whilst some of the stalls have changed, the vast majority of them remain the same. This year there is an abundance of food stalls, which is great if you want to try lots of different foods, but not so good if you've eaten packed lunch a few hours before! 

The best time to go is definitely at night. Whilst the market will be packed out, you will be able to admire the Christmas lights in all their glory as they glow against the dark sky. I think that the food tastes better in the evening, too, when you're tired and cold and hungry for something warm. 

I'll let the pictures do the rest of the talking! 



It's not all about the food. There are stalls filled with candles, soaps, jewellery, scarves... 


Treats for sweet lovers.


 And if you're looking for a little refuge from the cold... 





This French patissier has been in Belfast every year without fail. I always make sure I visit his stall! 





 Italian nougat in huuuuge chunks. 








Local chocolate company Fosters' came up trumps with some chocolatey treats. 








Have you ever been to a Christmas market? Where would you recommend? 


Comments