Book Review - The Lost Daughter

One of the great things about having two weeks off at Easter was being able to start (and finish!) a new book. Reading has always been a hobby of mine but I hadn't had the chance to sit down with a good novel for a while due to the mountain of homework piled on my desk! We took a day off as a family and went to Downpatrick, staying in a B and B for the night and driving round lots of little country villages during the course of the trip. In the evening, after an incredible slice of pecan pie (warm, with ice cream), we returned back to the house and settled down to read. I had planned to start another book but Mum dropped this one into my lap and I just couldn't resist.

My family are very into crime novels. And not just novels - TV series too! Morse, Endeavour, Foyle's War, Poirot, Miss Marple... You name it, we've probably watched it. We've recently discovered Inspector Montalbano (BBC3, Saturdays @ 9pm) - a detective drama set in Sicily with some very loveable characters. Mum has read a few of the original books but wasn't too keen on the language involved, so looked for something a bit different.

She found it in the form of the Lucretia Grindle.

She has written several books, but I've only read this one - 'The Lost Daughter'. And what a book it is too! I was hooked from the very opening pages and continued to read whenever I got the chance, finishing it within two days - something I haven't done in a very long time.


Rebellious American teenager in Italy + dodgy Italian figure from her stepmother's past = trouble.
Trouble + Italian detective = gripping.

I loved the fact that whilst at first the book seemed to be all about the teenager, it actually focused on the Italian stepmother and looked back at her childhood in the midst of an old Italian town. Having visited Italy last year I could picture the landscape even more vividly - the run-down buildings, the dusty streets, the wonky houses... It's a mystery with a bit more depth, so if you're into your car chases give this one a miss. For anyone else, though, I would highly recommend it!

You can buy it from Waterstones here.

Have you read any great books recently? (Or at any point; I'm always looking for recommendations.)

Comments